Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Saga of Mildred and her starving chicklings...

So several weeks ago I noticed a pigeon had made a nest on my balcony and layed 2 eggs. After noticing this a couple days later I realized the nest had been disturbed and the eggs were not in it. So I put on a pair of latex gloves and rebuilt the nest and placed the eggs back in the nest. All was well, Mildred came back and perched her pigeon ass down on the eggs so as to keep the warm. Well, yesterday afternoon the eggs hatched, but Mildred was nowhere to be found. I assumed through her maternal instincts she was out and about gathering food for her newly born offspring. This was not the case, she did not return all evening nor this morning. So I placed some bread in the nest for them to snack on (again with gloves on). But this is most disturbing I must say, Mildred it seems has abandoned her children and is probably off in some park happily pecking away at the bread that oncoming strangers feed her. Now this poses a serious dilemna for me. I despise pigeons, they are useless animals that serve no real function in the food chain. Secondly, they spread germs and viral diseases, they are basically the vermin of the flying kind. So the dilemna is this, do I let the chicklings die, and chaulk it up to the animal kingdom's population control through darwinism? Or do I help the very animal that I hate and loathe based on the simple fact of their innocence and give them the opportunity to live a full and meaningless life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home